Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Entertaining Done Right

As an event and wedding planner, I just can't help but talk about event stuff. (I promise to try to keep it to a minimum! :-P)

I've been trying to come up with something fun to do for Valentine's day. As I mentioned initially one of the things I am committed to doing in 2011 is stepping up my entertaining skills. This means I intend to entertain friends and family more. Now I'll be honest that I may not be able to execute by Valentine's day, because my man's schedule is quite crazy, but let me share a few ideas with you incase you have the opportunity to pull something together.

Now let's put together a few elements for the party:

Invitations
Again I'm a wedding planner, so maybe my ideas are a bit more elaborate than what normal people would plan to do, but this idea is so cute I couldn't pass it up. A while back Passport Invitations for weddings were all the rage. Well in looking at them, I wanted something I could really use them for. I don't have the need to plan my own wedding (already hitched) but I could use these for a party. I'll try to make the instructions as simple as possible:

I'm kind of lazy when I'm designing stuff like this, so I cheated and make a text box the size I wanted (4 1/4 X 5 1/2). In the text box I entered my text PASSPORT and Saturday February 11, 2012 (this was just for sample purposes, and entered my clipart, just found in Microsoft) United States of Love was created in Word Art so I could get that cool arch to it, but really just put whatever you like on yours. Email me for the tempate (I can't figure out how to attach it here)



For the inside of the invitation I used the same basic template idea making a text box 1/2 inch smaller than the folded size and printed the specific party information (I don't have a picture of that one). For additional pizzazz use coordinating cardstock colors. These do look absolutely great in metalic cardstock .

I rounded the corners for a cute touch (with a little paper punch). One of the sample invites is shown with ribbon run through the center, the other does not have tihs extra feature.

Appetizers (I can't spell that other word!)
If you're looking to keep the party light with food then here are a few ideas (I picked foods that are known to be natural aphrodisiacs, but feel free to tone down the sexy if you'd like) I also have to let you know that I'm not in to fru-fru, I like to eat, so....

CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES 

Now this a staple must have for Valentine's Day. Here's an idea of how to make your own.

Ingredients
  • 16 ounces milk chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 pound fresh strawberries with leaves

Directions

  1. Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
  2. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until smooth. Holding them by the toothpicks, dip the strawberries into the chocolate mixture.
  3. Turn the strawberries upside down and insert the toothpick into styrofoam for the chocolate to cool
Natural Aphrodisiac Foods:
  1. Chocolate
  2. Oysters
  3. Honey
  4. Bananas
  5. Basil
  6. Figs
  7. Champaign
Signature Cocktail


Love Bug Cocktail Photo

Love Bug

Drink Type: Cocktail - L

Ingredients

1 1/2 part(s)

Instructions

Mix over ice in a cocktail glass and

Check out more great options HERE
 Absolut Vodka - (more)
1 part(s)


Cupids Arrow Cocktail Photo

Cupids Arrow

Drink Type: Cocktail - C

Ingredients

1 1/2 oz.

Instructions

Shake ingredients with ice


Check out more great options HERE








 Pallini Peachcello - (more)
1/2 oz.

1 comment:

  1. Oops, just realized I didn't give you an email....If you want the template for the invitation email me at info@expressionsplanning.com

    ReplyDelete